(January 20, 2004)
The selection process for the 2004 National Youth Camp is underway. The Camp, which is being held for the sixth year, is scheduled for April 29-May 2, 2004 in Ottawa, Ontario. To be considered for the National Youth Camp, athletes must meet the following criteria:
- Has the desire to be a competitive skater and shows a commitment to the sport
- Has the genetic predisposition to develop into an elite figure skating athlete
- Has natural body rhythm and moves well to music
- Has developed reasonable strength and flexibility
- Most double jumps landed strongly with flow (including either flip or Lutz, with preference being given to those athletes executing both)
- One double/double combination
- Combination spin with one change of foot and the use of three levels
- Flying camel spin with proper take off, good position and speed
- Good stroking technique, with reasonable flow and power
- Singles: As of April 30, 2004, be 11-years old or under for males, and 10-years old or under for females.
- Pairs: As of April 30, 2004, be 13-years old or under for males, and 12-years old or under for females
Up to 20 athletes will be selected, and for the first time, Juvenile Pair teams will be considered. One parent and one coach per athlete will also attend the Camp.
Applications must be submitted to the respective Section for consideration. The Sections then send their nominations to the National Office for final selection of up to 20 athletes from across the country.
Please contact your Section Office for information regarding submission dates and requirements for consideration. Applications submitted directly to the National Office will be directed to the Section of the applicant and may result in a missed deadline.